Translate

Friday, December 23, 2011

SAAB. One man's poison.


It was only a car company but the final chapter in the SAAB story for me, was a sad event. Probably if GM had not bought SAAB when it did, it would have faced an uncertain future but the way this has been done should make all car enthusiasts angry. SAAB has always been a car that people either love or hate, at least up until GM got its hands on the company. When that happened the brand became just another one of many bland, cloned and boring cars from the GM parts bin. After wrecking the brand it was sold off but with clauses that prevented the new owners from finding new backers. I'm not sure if I would have been happy if it had been bought by Fuk Nho Motors or whoever it was that was sniffing around but who knows, it may have worked.


Following is a collection of photos and videos, some of my own 900 Turbo which I bought new 25 years ago, it is still as new and runs perfectly. Some from YouTube and some which seem to be the property of GM, I'll add more as I find them.
  

SAAB Song thanks to Saab90nl

Pikes Peak, I know it's a 9-3 but someone has replaced the Opel and Cadillac DNA with what my mate Mark calls SAABiness. Thanks to Saab90nl for the video.




 Was it really the worlds greatest rally car? At that time maybe it was.
I can't find details of the photographer to give credit but I hope they don't mind it being used here.

SAAB North America will auction their collection of cars, hopefully they may find their way back to the museum in Sweden. 

 


 




Surely there were wider tyres available in 1947.

Very SAAB


I am not a fan of Top Gear but a friend sent me a copy of the following video which does have some interesting footage and information.




No comments:

Post a Comment